Saturday, April 14, 2012

Springtime in OKC

 After a week in Amarillo, TX. we finally made it into Oklahoma City and the Tinker AFB FamCamp. The truck ran well, however, I don't know if it was the strong crosswinds or something else, but the mileage really suffered, 8 mpg (ouch) down from the normal 10/11 mpg. We didn't score as nice a site as we had last time (right on the lake, but we can still see it from the rig and the sites are all pretty nice anyways. We did get to spend time with or little granddaughter before she headed off to GA to visit the other grandparents for 3 weeks.

 Yesterday the weather sure took a turn for the worst, and we had quite the storm come through. Above is the lake at the RV park and yesterday evening after the storm the water line was close to the road by the RV's. I was surprised to see how far down it had went this morning when the picture was taken. The weather had cleared so we met Sheryl son and his wife for a nice dinner at the Texas Roadhouse, with his crazy hours we have to meet them when we can. We had a nice dinner and was good to catch up again after a few months apart. We headed home for the evening, relaxed and went to bed.

Ahhh, Springtime in Oklahoma, we were awakened at 3:00 in the morning by the tornado sirens and spent the next half hour or so in our new home pictured above. This tornado shelter was not here last time we visited this park, you had to take shelter in the park bathrooms. The new shelter was built especially for the park and is right behind the park restrooms, it's really comforting to know we have a safe place to high tail it to.
One thing we didn't think about was what would happen if all of a sudden our RV was gone in a storm. So today I put together a couple of bugout bags with extra clothes and essentials, and our insurance paperwork. Other important is in the safe, which I wrote our name and phone number on with a marker incase it was blown a mile or two away. We could at least get a call should someone find it.
A tornado did touch down and did a lot of damage just a few miles down the road from here last night, so as long as were here we want to be prepared for the worst.

Anyway, we are here safe and sound. We started our health insurance changeover yesterday and got set up with a new doctor. It's just a matter of waiting for the appointment so the referrals can start getting done and we can get Sheryl on the way to getting her back taken care of.

So that's all for today, we are supposed to have pretty bad weather again tonight, we'll be battening down the hatches and hoping for the best. See ya next time right back here (hopefully not


Mike and Terri said...

Stay safe!

Paul and Marti Dahl said...

Never thought of putting my name on my safe, thanks for the idea.

Hate to think of having to run to a shelter in the middle of the night, but better safe than sorry.