Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Indestructible....Not

Remember way back when......when we thought we were indestructible. We ll of course I was one of those fine folks, it wasn't a conscious thought, just more of an attitude. We took dumb risks, however well calculated we thought they were, and usually survived unhurt.
Well, it seems my turn finally caught up with me. Last Saturday, while hiking Alamo Mtn, on the way out, I twisted my right knee pretty good. It hurt a bit, but not much, however I could tell something wasn't right. I pressed on to the parking area and the car (not much choice as we were miles and mile from anywhere). The next couple of days I rested and it seemed to be ok, then Monday evening, I stood up and ouch at the back of my knee, and not just a little ouch either!!! Ok, better see the doctor and have it checked out. Today, I get the appointment, see the doc and explain what happened. He says ok, let me see, I take off the brace I put on and.........can't be good, when the doc looks and says Ooooooooooo, yea, you really did it, and that's without even touching it yet. Knee looks like a softball and after the exam believes I tore a couple of the ligaments. He wants to do an MRI to see the actual extent of the damage, but says we'll have to wait a couple of weeks for the swelling to go down or we won't get a proper image. Rest, Motrin and a Knee Brace until then. Oh Joy.
Worst part is, may have to stay put for a bit longer, depending on the results and treatment........dang, that wasn't in the plan.........we'll just have to play it by ear and see what happens.
With all the chances I've taken in life, it's almost funny that this happened walking on fairly level ground, with just some loose rocks.
Moral of the story, if your out there, be careful, bad things can happen and I for one will tell you, I won't be taking any unnecessary chances anymore if I can jack myself up just walking!!!

Take Care and to quote the Sgt from Hill Street Blues......Hey, lets be careful out there.

6 comments:

Nan said...

OUCH! Hope all heals up. Remember ice and Vit. C helps to reduce swelling and speeds healing.

Paul and Marti Dahl said...

Ow! That really sux. Hope I'm in better shape when I get to be your age... ;c)

Too bad you'll have to use all that ice on your knee instead of your drinks!

Paul and Marti Dahl said...

Ow! That really sux. Hope I'm in better shape when I get to be your age... ;c)

Too bad you'll have to use all that ice on your knee instead of your drinks!

Mike and Terri said...

Oh no! I feel your pain. I really hate those reminders that we're not as young as we used to be!

Ron and Elena said...

Bummer - hope the MRI shows there is no real serious damage. Take it easy and heal quickly.
---Ron & Elena

Mrs White said...

Sorry to hear about your mishap. I'm sure you are taking it easy now and pretty soon you will be good as new. Well, kinda! It sucks when you realize you aren't as young as you used to be.

Mrs White
http://bringingfurmanhome.blogspot.com