Monday, July 13, 2009

Day out in the Sacramentos

As many of you know, and some that don't, Sheryl had tohave major surgery a couple of weeks ago. Luckly I am not working at the moment and have been able to stay home and take care of her during her recovery. She is doing very well now and told me to get out and do something before I go stir crazy around the house. Ok, I took her advice and decided to give my new (to me) Glock 22 a test drive as well as get out a explore a new trail. I headed into the Sacramento mountains, just into the Linclon NF (gotta love the forest as your back yard) to a well established shooting area and ran several rounds threw her.

I've never owned a semi auto pistol, however have shot a few. I picked up this Glock 22 at a pretty reasonable price which included 3 mags and a case. I've never shot a .40 cal before and have heard many bad stories of how unplesent they are to shoot. I can say this little Glock was a joy to shoot and the .40 rounds don't kick as much as I was expecting.

Well, after my range time, it was time to hit the trail and do some exploring. I have been wanting t check out the Mill Ridge trail since it's close to the house and it just happens to be across from the shooting area, so off I went.

The trail is pretty rocky, not large rocks just a lot of loose sand and gravel with a few ledges built in. the steepness of the trail is what makes it a little more challenging, the small rocks and gravel act as ball bearings, you tend to slide or have difficulty getting traction. Still a fun time and great scenery. The trail is slow going, but then opens up to some beautiful meadows once on top of the table area.

The trail continues through the meadows with few more climbs and rocky areas.


The trail ends at an overlook above the town of Alamogordo, NM. This will made a great camping spot for a quick getaway. The veiws of White Sand National Monument and the Tularosa Basin are just breathtaking

After staying out for a bit, I wanted to get back to Sheryl, again she is doing well and on the road to full recovery. This hic-up in her (our life) has shown us just haw fragile life can be, and as she gets stronger and better we will be exploring more and more. We have also learned, if you want to travel, get out and do it now, don't wait till you feel the time is right, as the right time maybe taken from you in a instant. So until next time, start Lovin your Life as we do ours.

2 comments:

Kirk said...

Ah....a couple after my own heart.
Steady On!
Kirk-

NMBR said...

Looks like a relaxing time. That grassy area looked beautiful. Thanks for sharing.